Have you ever thought of using Twitter as a marketing tool to get your business known to potential customers and drive traffic to your website? Then read on . . .
Twitter markets itself as a real-time communication network connecting millions of people, organisations and businesses together to share new information. It enables users to tweet text based posts of up to 140 characters on the users profile page. Anyone who is interested can read, write and share the messages (or tweets).
Why use it in Business
It is estimated to have 200 million users worldwide, generating over 155 million tweets a day and it’s growing with over 450,000 new sign ups daily. As a business you can use Twitter to quickly share information, discover what people are talking about now, build your brand and publicise your business.
Reputation and trust is vital in business so be open and honest, have a genuine interest in the Twitter community. Share your thoughts and ideas, get feedback, and listen. Your contacts may just give you your next big idea.
Building a Twitter following
You need to accumulate a lot of followers to make it worth your while spending valuable time tweeting. Here are a few tips on how to make the most of microblogging:-
- Grow your fan base by giving as much detail as possible on your profile so people get interested in your niche market, products/services, and your business.
- Position yourself as the ‘expert’ in your field by sharing relevant news and information, and answering questions. The contents of your tweets will tell others what interests you and you’ll attract people you want to connect with most.
- Link to your other social media accounts. So, for instance, if something interesting is happening on Facebook you can tweet about it. It shows people that you are listening to them and that you’re worth following.
- Promote any special offers, new products, and get customer feedback.
- Look around and follow others. You can develop good business relationships this way. Also, introduce people to each other with similar interests. It’s a great way of networking and you’ll get noticed.
- Get involved and contribute. It doesn’t take long to tweet so be consistent and update regularly or else your followers will drop off.